By B. Kirkman Gray
First released in 1905, this e-book charts the historical past of English philanthropy from the Elizabethan interval via to the 19th century. In doing so, Benjamin Kirkman grey posed a few very important questions about smooth philanthropy, and mirrored at the that means and value of philanthropy. via old examine, the writer mentioned this complicated query, which, in a time ahead of the improvement of the British welfare nation, was once really topical.
This publication might be of curiosity to these learning the background of philanthropy, social welfare and poverty.
Read or Download A History of English Philanthropy: From the Dissolution of the Monasteries to the Taking of the First Census: Volume 9 (Routledge Library Editions: The History of Social Welfare) PDF
Similar uk history books
This booklet offers the 1st accomplished and authoritative account of the occasions best as much as the united kingdom looking a big mortgage from the IMF in 1976 which just about triggered a monetary quandary on a par with these of the 1930's and early submit conflict interval. Sir Douglas Wass, who used to be everlasting Secretary to the Treasury on the time, presents a different first hand account of the occasions that came about as the hindrance spread out and the decision-making method.
Timber have been of basic value in Anglo-Saxon society. Anglo-Saxons dwelt in trees homes, trusted wooded area as an monetary source, and created a cloth tradition of wooden which was once no less than as meaningfully-imbued, and significantly extra established, than the sculpture and metalwork with which we affiliate them at the present time.
Among 1600 and 1800 newspapers and periodicals moved to the centre of British tradition and society. This quantity bargains a chain of views at the constructing kin among information, its fabric varieties, gender, ads, drama, drugs, nationwide id, the ebook alternate and public opinion.
The Englishwoman’s evaluation, which released from 1866 to 1910, participated in and recorded a good swap within the variety of chances open to girls. the appropriate of the journal used to be the belief of the rising emancipated middle-class lady: financial independence from males, number of career, participation within the male firms of trade and govt, entry to better schooling, admittance to the male professions, fairly drugs, and, in fact, the ability of suffrage equivalent to that of guys.
- The Ordeal of Peace: Demobilization and the Urban Experience in Britain and Germany, 1917–1921 (Routledge Studies in First World War History)
- Accounting for Oneself: Worth, Status, and the Social Order in Early Modern England
- Physical Evidence for Ritual Acts, Sorcery and Witchcraft in Christian Britain: A Feeling for Magic (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic)
- Sport and the British World, 1900-1930: Amateurism and National Identity in Australasia and Beyond (Britain and the World)
- British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793 – 1817: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
- A History of Fair Trade in Contemporary Britain: From Civil Society Campaigns to Corporate Compliance
Extra info for A History of English Philanthropy: From the Dissolution of the Monasteries to the Taking of the First Census: Volume 9 (Routledge Library Editions: The History of Social Welfare)