By Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello
A wide, comparative historical past of librarianship, this interesting paintings is going past the traditional concentrate on associations and collections that will help you discover the half sleek librarianship played—and maintains to play—in forming Western cultures.
• Discusses the cultural function of libraries and the position of data in shaping sleek society
• Deepens readers' figuring out of the historical past of the 20 th century and sleek librarianship, together with electronic convergence of the previous decades
• Analyzes the cycles of "information explosion" and a number of details eras as a part of the improvement of librarianship over greater than a century
• Explores tensions round expert neutrality within the provision of public entry to details and information in a democratic society
Read or Download A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures PDF
Similar library & information science books
Typically, educational library outreach has intended attaining out to the campus group, delivering providers to school and scholars. Many universities and schools, even though, now have a brand new or renewed emphasis on outreach past the campus, looking to ascertain their associations' relevance to the group at huge.
A consultant to Library examine in track introduces the method and methods for gaining knowledge of and writing approximately tune. This informative textbook offers concrete examples of alternative forms of writing, delivering an intensive advent to song literature. It basically describes numerous information-searching concepts and library-based organizational structures and introduces the array of track assets to be had.
A co-branded e-book venture with Jisc (formerly the Joint info structures Commitee), off the again of DigiFest 2014, a electronic pageant run through Jisc for the 1st time in 2014. the purpose of the e-book is to deliver state of the art dialogue as heard at DigiFest to the data professional/academic librarian readership.
The Experiential Library: reworking educational and examine Libraries during the strength of Experiential studying good points contributions—in a comparatively conversational, useful, and "how-to" format—from numerous educational libraries throughout vast academic degrees that experience carried out experiential studying courses, prone, or assets to reinforce the training and improvement of either scholars and library staff.
- Public Library Buildings: The Librarian's Go-To Guide for Construction, Expansion, and Renovation Projects: The Librarian's Go-To Guide for Construction, Expansion, and Renovation Projects
- Guided by Meaning in Primary Literacy: Libraries, Reading, Writing, and Learning
- Successful Library Fundraising: Best Practices (Best Practices in Library Services)
- An Active Instrument for Propaganda: The American Public Library During World War I (Bio-Bibliographies in the Performing Arts,)
- The Changing Academic Library, Second Edition: Operations, Culture, Environments
Extra info for A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures