By Heidi J. Hornik,Mikeal C. Parsons
Charting the theological and cultural efficiency of Acts around the timespan of Christian historical past, this paintings of profound scholarship unearths the complete volume of the hot testomony book’s non secular, creative, literary, and political influence.
- Reveals the effect of Acts at key turning issues within the historical past of the Christian church
- Traces the wealthy and sundry inventive and cultural history rooted in Acts, from track to literature
- Analyzes the political value of the publication as a touchstone within the church’s exterior relations
- Provides certain remark at the exegesis of Acts down the centuries
Read Online or Download Acts of the Apostles Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries) PDF
Best christian reference books
During this hugely unique learn, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing foodstuff, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming problems usually equate meals with sin and notice fasting as an try to regain purity, an angle that can even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to rework one set of information to symbolize one other set of knowledge as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek delusion the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that may precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified by means of the ebook of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi declares her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This selection of 24 essays displays broader tendencies of analysis on Ben Sira long ago 20 years. the writer isn't just enthusiastic about the complicated textual difficulties of the e-book, but in addition with what mild can be shed on it by way of the applying of techniques from cultural and feminist reviews. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, using metaphorical language, and the problem of smell and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Individual and Community in Paul's Letter to the Romans (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament / 2. Reihe)
- J, E, and the Redaction of the Pentateuch (Forschungen zum Alten Testament)
- Matthew's Trilogy of Parables: The Nation, the Nations and the Reader in Matthew 21:28-22:14 (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- The Erotic Life of Manuscripts: New Testament Textual Criticism and the Biological Sciences
- A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew
Additional info for Acts of the Apostles Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries)