By Geraint Thomas,Laura Beers
Brave New international reappraises the family and imperial background of england within the interwar interval, investigating how ‘nation development’ was once given renewed impetus by means of the upheavals of WWI. The essays during this assortment deal with how new applied sciences and methods to governance have been used to forge new nationwide identities either at domestic and within the empire, overlaying quite a lot of matters from the illustration of empire on movie to the convergence of politics and ‘star culture’.
The booklet is a useful source for students of British social, political and imperial background, in addition to being of curiosity to the final reader.
Read or Download Brave New World: Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars PDF
Similar uk history books
This ebook offers the 1st complete and authoritative account of the occasions prime as much as the united kingdom looking an enormous mortgage from the IMF in 1976 which nearly brought on a monetary concern on a par with these of the 1930's and early put up conflict interval. Sir Douglas Wass, who was once everlasting Secretary to the Treasury on the time, offers a distinct first hand account of the occasions that came about as the difficulty opened up and the decision-making technique.
Timber have been of basic significance in Anglo-Saxon society. Anglo-Saxons dwelt in bushes homes, depended on forest as an financial source, and created a fabric tradition of wooden which used to be no less than as meaningfully-imbued, and drastically extra familiar, than the sculpture and metalwork with which we affiliate them this present day.
Among 1600 and 1800 newspapers and periodicals moved to the centre of British tradition and society. This quantity deals a chain of views at the constructing family among information, its fabric types, gender, ads, drama, medication, nationwide id, the booklet alternate and public opinion.
The Englishwoman’s evaluate, which released from 1866 to 1910, participated in and recorded a good swap within the diversity of percentages open to ladies. the precise of the journal used to be the assumption of the rising emancipated middle-class girl: monetary independence from males, selection of profession, participation within the male businesses of trade and govt, entry to raised schooling, admittance to the male professions, quite drugs, and, after all, the ability of suffrage equivalent to that of fellows.
- Exploration of the South Seas in the Eighteenth Century: Rediscovered Accounts, Volume I: Samuel Wallis’s Voyage Round the World in the Dolphin 1766-1768: Volume 1
- Devising, Dying and Dispute: Probate Litigation in Early Modern England
- The Eclipse of 'Elegant Economy': The Impact of the Second World War on Attitudes to Personal Finance in Britain (Modern Economic and Social History)
- The Politics of Songs in Eighteenth-Century Britain, 1723–1795 (Poetry and Song in the Age of Revolution)
- The British Abroad Since the Eighteenth Century, Volume 2: Experiencing Imperialism (Britain and the World)
- A History of Forensic Science: British beginnings in the twentieth century (Routledge SOLON Explorations in Crime and Criminal Justice Histories)
Additional resources for Brave New World: Imperial and Democratic Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars