By Ben Hewitt
Read or Download Byron, Shelley and Goethe's Faust: An Epic Connection (Studies in Comparative Literature) PDF
Best literary renaissance criticism books
The Catholic contribution to English literary tradition has been largely overlooked or misunderstood. This ebook units out to rehabilitate quite a lot of Catholic ingenious writing, whereas exposing the function of anti-Catholicism as an creative stimulus to mainstream writers in Tudor and Stuart England.
The Bible and normal Philosophy in Renaissance Italy explores the reciprocal dating among biblical interpretation and ordinary philosophy in sixteenth-century Italy. The ebook augments our wisdom of the manifold functions of clinical services within the Renaissance and of the a number of ways that the Bible used to be learn through expert those that lacked theological education.
Reminiscence and neighborhood in Sixteenth-Century France engages the query of remembering from a few diverse views. It examines the formation of groups inside of varied cultural, spiritual, and geographical contexts, particularly with regards to the fabric stipulations for generating texts and discourses that have been the rules for collective practices of reminiscence.
The 1st a part of Goethe's dramatic poem Faust (1808), one of many nice works of German literature, grabbed the eye of Byron and Percy Shelley within the 1810s, enticing them in a shared fascination that was once to exert an enormous impression over their writings. during this comparative learn, Ben Hewitt explores the hyperlinks among Faust and Byron's and Shelley's works, connecting Goethe and the 2 English Romantic poets by way of their differing, intricately comparable experiments with epic.
- A Companion to the Global Renaissance: English Literature and Culture in the Era of Expansion (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- The Unfolding of Words: Commentary in the Age of Erasmus (Erasmus Studies)
- The Age of Thomas Nashe: Text, Bodies and Trespasses of Authorship in Early Modern England (Material Readings in Early Modern Culture)
- The Plays and Poems of Nicholas Rowe, Volume III: The Late Plays: Volume 3 (The Pickering Masters)
- Scandal and Reputation at the Court of Catherine de Medici (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
Extra resources for Byron, Shelley and Goethe's Faust: An Epic Connection (Studies in Comparative Literature)