By Ken Arnold
Read or Download Cabinets for the Curious: Looking Back at Early English Museums (Perspectives on Collecting) PDF
Similar uk history books
This ebook presents the 1st complete and authoritative account of the occasions best as much as the united kingdom looking an important personal loan from the IMF in 1976 which just about triggered a monetary drawback on a par with these of the 1930's and early put up conflict interval. Sir Douglas Wass, who was once everlasting Secretary to the Treasury on the time, offers a different first hand account of the occasions that happened as the difficulty opened up and the decision-making approach.
Timber have been of basic value in Anglo-Saxon society. Anglo-Saxons dwelt in bushes homes, trusted wooded area as an financial source, and created a cloth tradition of wooden which used to be not less than as meaningfully-imbued, and enormously extra universal, than the sculpture and metalwork with which we affiliate them this present day.
Among 1600 and 1800 newspapers and periodicals moved to the centre of British tradition and society. This quantity bargains a sequence of views at the constructing relatives among information, its fabric varieties, gender, ads, drama, medication, nationwide identification, the publication exchange and public opinion.
The Englishwoman’s evaluate, which released from 1866 to 1910, participated in and recorded a superb swap within the diversity of chances open to girls. the proper of the journal used to be the assumption of the rising emancipated middle-class lady: financial independence from males, collection of career, participation within the male organisations of trade and executive, entry to better schooling, admittance to the male professions, rather medication, and, after all, the facility of suffrage equivalent to that of guys.
- Policing Prostitution, 1856–1886: Deviance, Surveillance and Morality: Volume 16 (Perspectives in Economic and Social History)
- Ireland in an Imperial World: Citizenship, Opportunism, and Subversion (Cambridge Imperial and Post-Colonial Studies Series)
- The Politics of Social Conflict: The Peak Country, 1520–1770 (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- Darwin and the Making of Sexual Selection
- Sport and the British World, 1900-1930: Amateurism and National Identity in Australasia and Beyond (Britain and the World)
Additional info for Cabinets for the Curious: Looking Back at Early English Museums (Perspectives on Collecting)