By Clare K. Rothschild,Trevor W. Thompson,Robert S. Kinney
Read Online or Download Christian Body, Christian Self: Concepts of Early Christian Personhood (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament) PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique learn, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing foodstuff, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues frequently equate foodstuff with sin and notice fasting as an try and regain purity, an perspective which could even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean equipment are used to remodel one set of knowledge to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek delusion the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that might precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified by way of the ebook of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi publicizes her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This choice of 24 essays displays broader traits of study on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer is not just interested by the advanced textual difficulties of the booklet, but additionally with what mild should be shed on it by means of the appliance of ways from cultural and feminist reports. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the difficulty of smell and body spray within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Theology, History, and Biblical Interpretation: Modern Readings
- Endurance in Suffering: Hebrews 12:1-13 in its Rhetorical, Religious, and Philosophical Context (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- Gospel Writing: A Canonical Perspective
- Isaiah's Political Message: An Appraisal of His Alleged Social Critique (Forschungen zum Alten Testament. 2. Reihe)
- Judges: A Commentary (Old Testament Library)
- The Pauline Effect: The Use of the Pauline Epistles by Early Christian Writers (Studies of the Bible and Its Reception (SBR))
Extra info for Christian Body, Christian Self: Concepts of Early Christian Personhood (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)