By Beth A. Berkowitz
Read Online or Download Defining Jewish Difference: From Antiquity to the Present PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique examine, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing nutrients, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues usually equate meals with sin and spot fasting as an try to regain purity, an angle which may even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean equipment are used to remodel one set of information to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fantasy the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that might precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified via the ebook of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a selected subject; Naomi announces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This selection of 24 essays displays broader developments of analysis on Ben Sira long ago twenty years. the writer is not just fascinated with the advanced textual difficulties of the publication, but additionally with what mild might be shed on it by means of the appliance of techniques from cultural and feminist reports. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, using metaphorical language, and the difficulty of smell and body spray within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Paul and Death: A Question of Psychological Coping (Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Biblical Criticism)
- The Roman Army and the Expansion of the Gospel: The Role of the Centurion in Luke-Acts (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- Music in the Hebrew Bible: Understanding References in the Torah, Nevi’im and Ketuvim
- Belonging in Genesis: Biblical Israel and the Politics of Identity Formation
- Individual and Community in Paul's Letter to the Romans (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament / 2. Reihe)
- Self-designations and Group Identity in the New Testament
Additional info for Defining Jewish Difference: From Antiquity to the Present