By Bruce W. Longenecker
Read or Download Early Christianity in Pompeian Light: People, Texts, Situations PDF
Best christian reference books
During this hugely unique examine, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing meals, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming problems frequently equate meals with sin and notice fasting as an try to regain purity, an angle that could even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean equipment are used to remodel one set of knowledge to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fantasy the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's leisure on a mystical mattress that will precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to a halt their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified by way of the booklet of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi publicizes her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This number of 24 essays displays broader developments of analysis on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer isn't just considering the advanced textual difficulties of the booklet, but in addition with what gentle might be shed on it by way of the appliance of ways from cultural and feminist experiences. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, using metaphorical language, and the problem of odor and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- The Letter of James (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)
- The Origin of Heresy: A History of Discourse in Second Temple Judaism and Early Christianity (Routledge Studies in Religion)
- Isaiah's Christ in Matthew's Gospel (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- Parables and Rhetoric in the Sermon on the Mount: New Approaches to a Classical Text (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- Paul in Acts and Paul in His Letters (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- Purpose and Cause in Pauline Exegesis: Romans 1.16-4.25 and a New Approach to the Letters (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
Additional resources for Early Christianity in Pompeian Light: People, Texts, Situations