By Scott M. Langston
- A bible statement tracing the reception background of Exodus from previous testomony instances, throughout the Patristic and Reformation classes, to the current day.
- Considers the ways that Exodus has prompted and has been motivated through heritage, faith, politics, the humanities and other kinds of tradition in Jewish, Christian and secular settings.
- Looks at how Exodus has served as a device of liberation and tyranny in numerous settings.
- Shows how Exodus has been used to form the identities of people and groups.
- Discusses the works of present and previous poets, musicians, film-makers, authors and artists motivated by way of Exodus.
- Addresses makes use of of Exodus on the topic of American and eu background reminiscent of the fantastic Revolution, colonialism, the yank Revolution, Civil battle, Civil Rights move, African-Americans, and local americans, in addition to makes use of via popular and little-known old figures
- Considers the influence of the 10 Commandments and different legislation, in criminal, political and non secular contexts.
- The Blackwell Bible statement sequence is supported through an internet site at www.bbibcomm.net
Read or Download Exodus Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries) PDF
Best christian reference books
During this hugely unique examine, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing foodstuff, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues usually equate nutrients with sin and spot fasting as an try to regain purity, an perspective that could even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to rework one set of knowledge to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fable the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that may precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified by way of the ebook of Ruth. each one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a selected subject; Naomi pronounces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This number of 24 essays displays broader tendencies of analysis on Ben Sira some time past 20 years. the writer isn't just all for the complicated textual difficulties of the e-book, but additionally with what gentle should be shed on it via the applying of methods from cultural and feminist experiences. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the difficulty of smell and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Progress of Redemption, The: The Story of Salvation from Creation to the New Jerusalem
- Biblical Exegesis and the Formation of Christian Culture
- Rhetorics in the New Millennium: Promise and Fulfillment (Studies in Antiquity & Christianity)
- Character Studies in the Fourth Gospel: Narrative Approaches to Seventy Figures in John (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- De-Introducing the New Testament: Texts, Worlds, Methods, Stories
Extra resources for Exodus Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries)