By Ágnes Buka,Nándor Éber
The ebook intends to offer a cutting-edge review of flexoelectricity, a linear actual coupling among mechanical (orientational) deformations and electrical polarization, that's particular to structures with orientational order, resembling liquid crystals.
Chapters written by means of specialists within the box make clear theoretical in addition to experimental features of study conducted because the discovery of flexoelectricity. along with a standard macroscopic (continuum) description the microscopic concept of flexoelectricity is additionally addressed. Electro-optic results because of or changed through flexoelectricity in addition to a number of (direct and oblique) size tools are mentioned. detailed emphasis is given to the function of flexoelectricity in pattern-forming instabilities.
While the focus of the publication lies in flexoelectricity in nematic liquid crystals, peculiarities of alternative mesophases (bent-core structures, cholesterics, and smectics) also are reviewed. Flexoelectricity has relevance to organic (living) platforms and will additionally provide probabilities for technical purposes. the fundamentals of those interdisciplinary fields also are summarized.
- Introduction to Flexoelectricity: Its Discovery and uncomplicated strategies (R B Meyer)
- Molecular conception of Flexoelectricity in Nematic Liquid Crystals (M A Osipov)
- Flexoelectro-optics and Measurements of Flexocoefficients (N V Madhusudana)
- Flexoelectricity of Bent-core Molecules (A Jákli, J Harden and N Éber)
- The function of Flexoelectricity in development Formation (Á Buka, T Tóth-Katona, N Éber, A Krekhov and W Pesch)
- Flexoelectricity in Chiral Polar Smectics (M Čepič)
- Flexoelectricity in Lyotropics and in residing Liquid Crystals (A G Petrov)
- Applications of Flexoelectricity (P Rudquist and S T Lagerwall)
- Appendix A. Measured Flexoelectric Coefficients of Nematic Liquid Crystals (N Éber)
- Appendix B. Abbreviations
Readership: Graduate scholars and researchers in physics, biology and their applications.
Read Online or Download Flexoelectricity in Liquid Crystals:Theory, Experiments and Applications PDF
Similar biophysics books
Ando establishes a thought of subjective choice of the sound box in a live performance corridor, in line with choice thought with a version of human auditory- mind process. The version makes use of the autocorrelation functionality and the interaural crosscorrelation functionality for indications arriving at ear entrances and considers the specialization of human cerebral hemispheres.
A close examine the newest examine in non-invasive in vivo cytometry and its purposes, with specific emphasis on novel biophotonic equipment, sickness prognosis, and tracking of affliction therapy at unmarried phone point in desk bound and move stipulations. This e-book hence covers the spectrum starting from primary interactions among mild, cells, vascular tissue, and phone labeling debris, to techniques and possibilities for preclinical and medical learn.
Released consistently considering that 1944, the Advances in Protein Chemistry and Structural Biology serial has been a continual, crucial source for protein chemists. overlaying studies of technique and learn in all points of protein chemistry, together with purification/expression, proteomics, modeling and structural selection and layout, every one quantity brings forth new information regarding protocols and research of proteins whereas offering the latest findings from prime specialists in a large diversity of protein-related themes.
The aim and topic of this ebook is to supply a accomplished evaluation of all kinds of phantoms utilized in clinical imaging, remedy, nuclear drugs and future health physics. For ionizing radiation, dosimetry with recognize to problems with fabric composition, form, and motion/position results are all highlighted.
- Brownian Ratchets: From Statistical Physics to Bio and Nano-motors
- Methods in Modern Biophysics
- Mathematical Modelling of Chromosome Replication and Replicative Stress (Springer Theses)
- Fractal Analysis of the Binding and Dissociation Kinetics for Different Analytes on Biosensor Surfaces
Additional info for Flexoelectricity in Liquid Crystals:Theory, Experiments and Applications