By Veronika E. Grimm
Read or Download From Feasting To Fasting: The Evolution of a Sin PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique research, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing nutrition, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues usually equate foodstuff with sin and spot fasting as an try and regain purity, an perspective that can even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean equipment are used to rework one set of information to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fable the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's leisure on a paranormal mattress that will precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to cause them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the previous testomony, exemplified by way of the ebook of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a selected subject; Naomi pronounces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This number of 24 essays displays broader tendencies of study on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer is not just fascinated by the complicated textual difficulties of the ebook, but in addition with what mild might be shed on it by means of the appliance of ways from cultural and feminist stories. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the problem of odor and body spray within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- And Then the End Will Come: Early Latin Christian Interpretations of the Opening of the Seven Seals (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- Apocrypha (Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture)
- From Gods to God: The Dynamics of Iron Age Cosmologies (Forschungen zum Alten Testament)
- James and Paul: The Politics of Identity at the Turn of the Ages
- Paul and the Power of Sin: Redefining 'Beyond the Pale' (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
Extra info for From Feasting To Fasting: The Evolution of a Sin