By Matthew Sleeman
Read Online or Download Geography and the Ascension Narrative in Acts (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series) PDF
Best christian reference books
During this hugely unique learn, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing foodstuff, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues usually equate nutrition with sin and spot fasting as an try and regain purity, an angle that may even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to remodel one set of knowledge to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek delusion the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's leisure on a paranormal mattress that might precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to an end their legs to cause them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the previous testomony, exemplified by way of the ebook of Ruth. each one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi publicizes her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This number of 24 essays displays broader developments of study on Ben Sira long ago twenty years. the writer is not just inquisitive about the advanced textual difficulties of the e-book, but additionally with what gentle will be shed on it by way of the applying of techniques from cultural and feminist reports. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the difficulty of odor and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Pedagogy, Prayer and Praise: The Wisdom of the Psalms and Psalter (Forschungen zum Alten Testament 2. Reihe)
- Augustine and the Bible (The Bible through the Ages)
- The Ontology of Space in Biblical Hebrew Narrative: The Determinate Function of Narrative Space within the Biblical Hebrew Aesthetic (BibleWorld)
- The Myth of a Gentile Galilee (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- Ecclesiology and Theosis in the Gospel of John: Volume 166 (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- The Joseph Paradox: A Radical Reading of Genesis 37–50
Additional info for Geography and the Ascension Narrative in Acts (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)