By Charles Loft
More than forty years after its ebook, the 1963 Beeching Report on British railways continues to be debatable for recommending the closure of a 3rd of Britain’s railways.
In this publication, Charles Loft examines:
- why the nationalized railways have been in such dire monetary straits via 1963
- how executive paintings on destiny delivery wishes resulted in conclusions which might have reduce Britain’s railways down by way of millions of miles
- what problems finally halted makes an attempt via Conservative and Labour governments to enforce those cuts.
This ebook may be beneficial to someone attracted to how delivery coverage is made or the way it has arrived at its present nation and sheds interesting new gentle at the operating of presidency, the economic system and the temper of the days lower than Churchill, Eden, Macmillan and Wilson.
Read Online or Download Government, the Railways and the Modernization of Britain: Beeching's Last Trains (British Politics and Society) PDF
Best government books
Even if their leaders and employees aren't elected, bureaucratic companies have the ability to make coverage judgements that hold the total strength of the legislations. during this groundbreaking publication, Sean Gailmard and John W. Patty discover a topic primary to political technological know-how and public management: How do Congress and the president make sure that bureaucratic companies enforce their most well-liked guidelines?
This e-book examines the effect of Europeanization at the family politics of european member states, focussing on agricultural coverage, team spirit coverage and employment coverage with a close comparative case research on Italy. although a founding member, Italy has frequently had an uneasy dating with the european and located it tricky to be influential in ecu politics and to conform successfully with european regulations and institutional pressures.
Fresh years have witnessed titanic paintings within the legislative stories box. yet what will we find out about legislatures today and are there transparent standards for evaluating and classifying them? it is a new overview of the nation of our wisdom of parliament and tackles key questions: Do legislatures subject in legislative phrases, and, if this is the case, how a lot?
St century that we have to query how a lot of his sort might paintings in our personal period. The chapters during this quantity tackle the teachings we would draw from the Eisenhower event for presidential management at the present time. even supposing many of the authors locate a lot to appreciate within the Eisenhower list, they show various evaluations on how acceptable his method will be for our personal time.
- Rethinking Foreign Policy (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics)
- Financing Armed Conflict, Volume 2: Resourcing US Military Interventions from the Spanish-American War to Vietnam
- Fractured Parties: How Recent Elections Have Exposed Weaknesses in American Political Parties
- The Territories of the Russian Federation 2016
- Property Rights and Neoliberalism: Cultural Demands and Legal Actions (Law, Property and Society)
- On Behalf of the President: Presidential Spouses and White House Communications Strategy Today: Presidential Spouses and White House Communications Strategy Today
Extra info for Government, the Railways and the Modernization of Britain: Beeching's Last Trains (British Politics and Society)