By Mark A. Chancey
Read or Download Greco-Roman Culture and the Galilee of Jesus (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series) PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique research, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing nutrition, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming problems usually equate nutrition with sin and spot fasting as an try to regain purity, an perspective that can even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to remodel one set of information to symbolize one other set of knowledge as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fantasy the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a paranormal mattress that may precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to a halt their legs to cause them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the previous testomony, exemplified by means of the booklet of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi pronounces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This selection of 24 essays displays broader traits of study on Ben Sira long ago twenty years. the writer isn't just keen on the advanced textual difficulties of the publication, but in addition with what mild will be shed on it by means of the appliance of methods from cultural and feminist experiences. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, using metaphorical language, and the difficulty of odor and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Rumors of Resistance: Status Reversals and Hidden Transcripts in the Gospel of Luke (Emerging Scholars)
- Isaiah 53 in the Light of Homecoming after Exile: 2 (Forschungen zum Alten Testament. 2. Reihe)
- The 'Foreignness' of the Foreign Woman in Proverbs 1-9: A Study of the Origin and Development of a Biblical Motif (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- Commentary on John (Ancient Christian Texts)
- Colossians (2008): A Commentary (The New Testament Library)
Additional resources for Greco-Roman Culture and the Galilee of Jesus (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)