By K. Jason Coker
Read or Download James in Postcolonial Perspective: The Letter as Nativist Discourse PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique examine, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing nutrients, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues usually equate meals with sin and spot fasting as an try to regain purity, an perspective that can even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to rework one set of information to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek delusion the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that might precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to a halt their legs to cause them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified through the booklet of Ruth. each one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a selected subject; Naomi publicizes her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This choice of 24 essays displays broader traits of study on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer is not just interested by the complicated textual difficulties of the publication, but additionally with what mild will be shed on it through the appliance of ways from cultural and feminist reports. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the problem of odor and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Samuel at the Threshold: Selected Works of Graeme Auld (Society for Old Testament Study)
- The Epistle to the Romans (New International Greek Testament Commentary (NIGTC))
- Repetition in Hebrews: Plurality and Singularity in the Letter to the Hebrews, Its Ancient Context, and the Early Church (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament)
- Arguing with God: A Theological Anthropology of the Psalms
- The Book of Acts in Its Diaspora Setting: 005
- The Meaning of Jesus' Death: Reviewing the New Testament’s Interpretations
Additional resources for James in Postcolonial Perspective: The Letter as Nativist Discourse