By David M. Gunn
- A bible observation concentrating on The ebook of Judges, most sensible identified for the story of Samson and Delilah, yet packed with many different wealthy and vibrant stories.
- Treats the textual content tale via tale, making it obtainable to non-specialists,
- Considers the tales of girls in Judges, together with Deborah, Jael, who slew Sisera, and Jephthah’s daughter, sacrificed by way of her father.
- Traces the reception of Judges in the course of the a long time, not just through students and theologians, but additionally by means of preachers, academics, politicians, poets, essayists and artists.
- Illustrates how ideology and the social situation of readers have formed the best way the ebook has been read.
- Discloses an extended historical past of dialogue over the jobs of ladies and using strength, in addition to Christian prejudice opposed to Jews and ‘Orientals’.
- Offers a window onto using the Bible within the Western world.
Read Online or Download Judges Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries) PDF
Similar christian reference books
During this hugely unique research, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing meals, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming issues frequently equate nutrition with sin and spot fasting as an try and regain purity, an perspective which may even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to rework one set of information to symbolize one other set of knowledge as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fable the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a mystical mattress that will precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to a halt their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the previous testomony, exemplified via the publication of Ruth. each one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi pronounces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This selection of 24 essays displays broader traits of study on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer isn't just keen on the advanced textual difficulties of the publication, but additionally with what gentle can be shed on it via the appliance of methods from cultural and feminist experiences. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the problem of odor and body spray within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- A Common Written Greek Source for Mark and Thomas (Studies in Christianity and Judaism)
- Guardians of Letters: Literacy, Power, and the Transmitters of Early Christian Literature: Literacy, Power and the Transmitters of Early Christian Literature
- Criticism and Confession: The Bible in the Seventeenth Century Republic of Letters (Oxford-Warburg Studies)
- Theology, History, and Biblical Interpretation: Modern Readings
- Children’s Bibles in America: A Reception History of the Story of Noah’s Ark in US Children’s Bibles (The Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies)
Additional info for Judges Through the Centuries (Wiley Blackwell Bible Commentaries)