By R. S. Sugirtharajah
- Examines how quite a few empires corresponding to the Persian and Roman affected biblical narratives.
- Demonstrates how diversified biblical writers similar to Paul, Matthew and Mark dealt with the demanding situations of empire.
- Includes examples of the sensible software of postcolonial feedback to biblical texts.
- Considers modern concerns corresponding to diaspora, race, illustration and territory.
- Editorial observation attracts out the most important issues to be made and creates a coherent narrative.
Read or Download The Postcolonial Biblical Reader PDF
Best christian reference books
During this hugely unique learn, Veronika Grimm discusses early Christian texts facing nutrients, consuming and fasting. modern-day consuming problems usually equate nutrition with sin and notice fasting as an try and regain purity, an angle that may even be saw in early Christian ideals within the mortification of the flesh.
Procrustean tools are used to rework one set of knowledge to symbolize one other set of information as heavily as attainable. The identify derives from the Greek fable the place Procrustes invited passers-by in for a delightful meal and a night's relaxation on a paranormal mattress that will precisely healthy any visitor. He then both stretched the visitor at the rack or bring to a halt their legs to lead them to healthy completely into the mattress.
Kristin Moen Saxegaard demonstrates how personality complexity is portrayed within the outdated testomony, exemplified through the publication of Ruth. every one personality within the tale has its particular voice which increases a specific subject; Naomi pronounces her bitterness, Boaz is the merry personality, Ruth stresses that she is a foreigner, and Yahweh is silent.
This number of 24 essays displays broader tendencies of analysis on Ben Sira some time past twenty years. the writer isn't just occupied with the advanced textual difficulties of the ebook, but additionally with what mild should be shed on it through the appliance of methods from cultural and feminist stories. She examines, for instance, the gender theamtic, the use of metaphorical language, and the difficulty of smell and perfume within the textual content of Ben Sira.
- Threshing Floors…Ancient Israel: Their Ritual and Symbolic Significance (Emerging Scholars)
- Hebrew Bible and Ancient Versions: Selected Essays of Robert P. Gordon (Society for Old Testament Study)
- Sexual Hospitality in the Hebrew Bible: Patronymic, Metronymic, Legitimate and Illegitimate Relations (Gender, Theology and Spirituality)
- The Vine and the Son of Man: Eschatological Interpretation of Psalm 80 in Early Judaism (Emerging Scholars)
- The Synoptic Problem and Statistics
- A Postcolonial Woman’s Encounter with Moses and Miriam (Postcolonialism and Religions)
Extra resources for The Postcolonial Biblical Reader